Wednesday 15 January 2014

5 Specific questions for you - yes you!



A couple of weeks ago I did a post that was about 10 questions for families with LGBTI parents.  I really appreciated everyone's input.  This time I would like to ask you questions (I've included questions for the non-LGBTI people too, no discrimination here!  ;-)  ) and open up the chance for you to ask any questions you would like when it comes to parenting as an LGBTI person or anything else that might be of interest. 

If you are LGBTI and have children can you answer a couple of questions for me? 

  1. what have been your three biggest parenting challenges as a lesbian?  
  2. what are two difficult questions your children have asked you about their family structure? 
  3. what are two difficult questions someone else has asked you about your kids or your family? 
  4. did you have your children within a lesbian/gay relationship?  
  5. how old are your children?
If you are straight and have children can you answer these questions for me?
  1. have your children got peers whose parents are lesbian/gay? 
  2. do you have lesbian/gay family members?  
  3. if you have a gay/lesbian child have they had good support either at school or in the workplace and from peers? 
  4. have you talked to your kids about various family structures?  What information would help you do this? 
  5. how old are your children?
Can't wait to hear your feedback!

A


Copyright Adele Fisher 2014 


2 comments:

  1. To answer the above questions:
    1 Yes
    2 Not that I am aware of
    3 N/A
    4 Yes. I am a great believer in being as open and honest with my kids as I can. This has included bi or multi racial, blended, separated, adoptive, gay/lesbian and foster families. Most conversations have stemmed from either knowing or reading about different structures. I try to give them the facts if I know them & encourage them to learn more by asking those involved or researching. And I also remind them there is no right or wrong, that all families are dysfunctional sometimes (our own included!) and that as long as there is love, that is what makes a family. Oh and there should always be at least one crazy aunt who pinches their cheeks and owns a cat lol!
    5 my girls are aged 10 and 7.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lillypilli! I had to giggle at your comment about us all having a crazy aunt - so true! I'm just trying not to turn into one in time!! I really appreciate your comments. Feel free to drop back here and participate whenever you feel like it.

    A

    ReplyDelete